Please make sure you read the Pony Club Vaccination Rules below.
PLEASE READ – EQUINE FLU AND BIO SECURITY
Actions for owners to take:
Anyone who is out competing a lot is recommended to get your ponies 6 month booster done as a lot of events do insist on this and we don’t want you to be disappointed.
It is crucial for all horse and pony owners to be vigilant and follow recommended guidelines on how to detect and prevent the spread of this infectious disease.
Look out for signs of disease which can include high temperature, cough, snotty nose, enlarged glands (under the lower jaw), swollen or sore eyes, depression, loss of appetite and swelling in the lower legs.
If you see any of these signs, isolate the horse and call your vet immediately.
Please Read THE PONY CLUB VACCINATION RULES FOR 2021 BELOW.
USEFUL LINK: BHA Vaccination Calculator to check out dates for your ponies injections. Click Here
THE PONY CLUB VACCINATION RULE 2021
EVENTS THAT ARE HELD AT SOME VENUES MAY BE SUBJECT TO ADDITIONAL RULES. E.G. ANY HORSE / PONY ENTERING A LICENSED RACECOURSE PROPERTY MUST COMPLY WITH THE VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS AS SET BY THE BRITISH HORSERACING AUTHORITY.
SIMILAR RESTRICTIONS APPLY IN THE CASES OF POLO VENUES.
IN ADDITION, IF YOU ARE INTENDING TO COMPETE UNDER FEI, BRITISH EVENTING, BRITISH SHOW JUMPING OR BRITISH DRESSAGE RULES YOU WILL NEED TO ENSURE YOU ARE COMPLIANT WITH THEIR RULES.
To protect the health of other competing horses and the biosecurity of the venue, the following rules will apply to all Pony Club Competitions:
1. Passports – A valid passport and vaccination record:
- must accompany the horse / pony to all events
- must be available for inspection by the event officials
- must be produced on request at any other time during the event.
2. No horse / pony may compete (or be present at the event as a companion) unless it has a Record of Vaccination against equine influenza completed by the veterinary surgeon who gave the vaccination, signed and stamped line by line, which complies with the Minimum Vaccination Requirements.
3. The Minimum Vaccination Requirements for a horse / pony are that it has received:
- a Primary Vaccination followed by a Secondary Vaccination given not less than 21 days and not more than 92 days after the Primary Vaccination; and
- if sufficient time has elapsed, a booster vaccination given not less than 150 days and not more than 215 days after the Secondary Vaccination and further booster vaccinations at intervals of not more than a year apart.
4. At competitions at Area level and above including Grassroots Regional Championships and the finals of the Spring Festival competitions, the most recent booster injection must have been given within the six calendar months prior to the date of the competition.
5. No horse / pony may compete on the same day as a relevant injection is given or on any of the 6 days following such an injection.
NOTE: We also remind owners of the importance of vaccinations and to ensure that
their vaccination records are up to date. The vast majority of confirmed cases reported by the Animal Health Trust are in unvaccinated horses. We continue to recommend that if it has been longer than six months since the last vaccination, owners should discuss a booster with their veterinary surgeon.
To read more on Pony Club Rules or view the current Rule Books, click the link below.